Swatching Part II

Last week I made another couple of swatches that I didn’t show in the previous post. First I did one in a wool called Dansk Merino Naturgarn. I don’t know how it will hold up with use but it’s wonderful to knit with. Very soft and it makes a very nice fabric. It’s fingering weight, about 500 m per 100 g. I got it on a sale at a small farm shop a couple of years ago but I have no idea where to get it now. Googling it gives one decent hit out of 5 so if anyone knows more about it please let me know because I want more. Luckily I have enough for one sweater in this colour, maybe even two.


I’ve also been rethinking the swatch I did for the vest. The fabric was way too stiff which made me try with larger needles but I just couldn’t get a nice even tension with this yarn (Isager Tvinni Alpaca). In the end I came up with something different but still inspired by the pattern and colour sequence in the original design.


I’ve also been finishing the Diamond Shawl. Sewing on sequins one by one is a huge pain in the ass bit tedious so I’m not going to put one in the center of each diamond as was my original plan. Besides that more than one person has already mentioned that less looks nicer than more.


Swatching Part I

The title of this post says it all. I’m no closer to finishing something than I was a week ago and my head is bursting with new ideas. Besides that I have to make a cardigan to wear at work but I’ve been sensible and chosen a design worked on 5mm needles. I’m using these two yarns for it:



The Soft Wool Silk is a blend 65% wool/35% silk blend that despite its name is a bit hard to touch but worked together with the Kid Seta (exactly the same as Kid Silk Haze but cheaper) it makes an incredibly soft fabric.



I had to make two swatches because the pattern is a combination of ribbing and stockinette. They are both made with my new ivory ebony needles which I’m already finding addictive.


I find them just as smooth as metal needles but they are much more gentle on my hands. They had to be circular as well because I cannot work with straight needles anymore. I realized it working on the red sweater for my boyfriend. It never saw any work even though I liked both the pattern and the yarn but one day it hit me that it was the needles that made it too heavy and awkward. It’s too late to change the needles so I try to do just a little every day but progress is slow.

Almost Finished

Can you tell that my apartment isn’t very big?


It’s not the best picture in the world but it’s a bit difficult to get a better one when the wall is right behind you. The Diamond Shawl is finally being blocked and I only need to weave in the ends. The only thing is that I’m not that happy about the colour. I chose it because originally I intended to make it as a gift for a friend but then I reconsidered. Not that this particular friend isn’t worthy a hand knit shawl but she’s a non-knitter and we all know that they don’t always really understand this kind of gift… So I’m thinking that this shawl needs some gold sequins. One in the center of each diamond will lighten things up a bit.

I’ve also finished making the lace swatch with the Merino Extrafine. I used the center pattern for the Unst Stole in Heirloom Knitting.


My gauge is about 35 x 35 per 10 x 10 cm using 2mm needles. I don’t really know what to make with the yarn, I could make the Unst Stole but I’m not sure 100 g of yarn is enough and I probably should concentrate on finishing the Princess Shawl first, not to mention all the other projects…