*While we are waiting was the title of the all-day television show that was aired on the 24th of December when I was a child in the eighties. From early morning until dinner time at six o’clock it did its best to entertain us kids and make the longest day of year shorter. It didn’t really work and we must have been unbearable until the presents were opened around nine o’clock.
This kind of excitement is one of those feelings that rarely survives adolescence but the last couple of days I’ve been getting close. The thing I’m waiting for is of course the new Rowan 40. Ever since the first comments about it began appearing on the Rowan Forum it’s been harder and harder getting home to an empty mailbox. Seeing the preview doesn’t help much either as I never can tell what I really like from it.
To keep myself distracted I’ve been working on the hem frill for Butterfly. The first thing I did was to make a chart for it. As I don’t know how to use Excel, it was made in the old-fashioned way with squared paper and a pencil. It’s a bit tricky to work out because the number of stitches varies on each row but once it’s done it’s a great help.
Waiting does make me a bit flighty, though, so I’ve been casting on for another project as well, using stash yarn. For a long time I’ve been wanting a simple, classic pullover and I wanted to design it myself to make it fit perfectly. I’m still planning to do that but with a little help from a booklet I found in Aalborg when visiting my parents. (I had put it inside another book to protect it and consequently forgot all about it until a couple of days ago.) It looked strangely familiar in the shop and it turns out that it is the Danish version of the booklet that Kris talked about in a post from July 1st. She has some excellent photos of the contents.
One of the models is exactly what I want to do in exactly the gauge I’m getting but the biggest size is for a 94cm bust and I’m definitely bigger than that… In the end that’s not a problem but I do hope it will be helpful when I shape the armholes and sleeve caps. I find that to be the hardest part of designing, maybe because I’m too lazy to figure out and do the math properly.